Wednesday, June 2, 2010

This Friday I leave out for Synod Assembly, which is where all of the Lutheran churches are going to get together and discuss issues. "Discuss" could be a lose term this weekend, as the leading topic will be whether or not we continue to ordain openly gay and lesbian pastors. I think that screaming may more accurately describe what I'm going to see this weekend. It's going to be my first real look at what church business is like. I'm perplexed to be honest.
So after this weekend it'll only be two weeks until I go to that wonderful event that we in the southeastern synod refer to as AFFIRM. When I go to AFFIRM this year I was supposed to be in a class of about 10 or so "young adults" who all undergo training to be qualified as camp councilors and possible church leaders for the future. Yesterday my youth leader came up to me and informed me that my class actually wouldn't exist. I freaked. (By freaked I mean that I had a blank and confused look on my face.) She quickly followed by telling me that I was still going, but that I was the only one who had signed up so they were going to put me at a "half staff" level. I"m apparently going to to have one-on-one time with the Bishop and special training with the leaders. They've put me with worshiptivity so I have the suspicion that I may be helping lead worship for 300 people....this is going to be an experience.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on leading the worship service! That's great! I'm sure you're going to be great at Affirm this year.
    I hope that SYNOD helped guide you somewhat into what you want to do. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete